Morro Bay Harbor is located approximately 12 miles northwest of the City of San Luis Obispo on the central California coast. Prior to the 1930’s Morro Bay was the home of a small commercial fishing fleet that was able to utilize the natural channelization of the Morro Bay harbor. Boats could enter from both the north side and the south side of Morro Rock depending on the seasonal deposition of sand. In the 1930’s, the WPA built the seawall that connected Morro Rock to the mainland and eliminated access to the harbor from the north. The Morro Bay breakwater was constructed by the Los Angeles District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1940’s with U.S. Navy funds to provide a base for small patrol vessels. The breakwater was rebuilt in 1957 and in 1964. Prior to 1957, material from Morro Rock had be used in harbor related construction. In 1957, Congress passed a law preventing federal agencies from using Morro Rock as a quarry source.