Channel Islands Harbor is located in the city of Oxnard. Dredging for the Channel Islands Harbor began in the mid-1950’s. The harbor was completed in 1963. The harbor was designed to lessen the effect of downshore beach erosion at Port Hueneme and beyond to Point Mugu. Harbor structural features consist of a 2300 foot-long offshore breakwater, entrance jetties, and an entrance channel leading to the harbor interior. The entrance channel is 32,000 feet in length and varies in width from 300 feet near the entrance basin to 600 feet within the harbor. The entrance channel is authorized at a depth of -20 feet mean lower low water (MLLW).
The offshore breakwater and jetties form a sand trap, and the entrance basin collects littoral drift as it moves downcoast. The harbor was designed to trap sand to prevent loss to the submarine canyon off of Port Hueneme and to provide dredged material for beach replenishment for downcoast beaches.