This information only applies for locations owned by the Corps (i.e., Sepulveda, Hansen, Whittier Narrows, or Santa Fe Dam Areas).
DATES - HOLDS
The first film company to provide the Corps its completed film application and initial deposit of $750 has first call for the dates(s) listed on the application. The Corps must receive the application and initial deposit at least thirty (30) days prior to the film date, or earlier if other reports (i.e., environmental, safety, engineering) are required. The Corps cannot waive or shorten this period.
DATES - USE DAYS
The dates on your permit are your exclusive use days. Storing equipment/supplies on Corps land constitutes a use day, even if no filming occurs on that day. You MAY NOT use a site (including leaving supplies, such as dumpsters) before/after your use day(s). Parties violating this rule will have future permits disapproved, and may be charged an additional fee. Corps Basins are needed for flood control and prompt removal of film-related items, including dumpsters and restrooms, is mandatory.
Call Corps staff members Brian Lee at (213) 452-3126 to inquire about changing your use dates or times. The Corps needs sufficient notice to coordinate with staff members, and not all change requests can be honored. There is a $100 charge for each date/time change.
- The Corps offers students and non-profit groups lower fees.
- Fees for an environmental document must be paid at the same time as the application fee.
- Upon completion of the application and all required documentation, the Corps will provide an accounting of its costs and an invoice for final fees, which must be paid at least five (5) days prior to the selected film date(s).
- The initial non-refundable deposit fee of $750 will be credited to your final fees.
- Please pay fees via check, made payable in U.S. dollars to: Finance & Accounting Officer, LAD.
- The Mail Room, 9th Floor, Room 930, accepts couriered items M-F, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (except Federal holidays), at 915 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90017. The Corps discourages mailing checks via the U.S. Postal Service due to long delivery times. The Corps cannot validate parking.
The applicant must obtain a standard liability insurance policy in the amount of $500,000 per person in any one claim and an aggregate limit of $2,000,000. Property damage coverage must be at least $100,000. The Government or Corps shall NOT be named as coinsured. A copy of the bond and insurance policy or a Certificate of Insurance must be furnished to the Corps prior to issuance of a permit.
Monitors are required for all Corps dam sites. Applicants pay for monitoring for film activity hours listed on their permits at $80/hour (Federal holidays and Easter Sunday: $160/hour). At Sepulveda, our Damtenders arrive at the dates and times listed on the permit to unlock Corps gates – please be timely. The Corps adds four (4) hours to each dam permit to cover its costs to accommodate trucks delivering/retrieving dumpsters, porta potties, etc. The Corps may also, at its discretion, require safety monitors to review or field monitor unusual activities (see UNUSUAL ACTIVITIES, above). Applicants pay these costs.
The Corps only allows use of the downstream (freeway) side of the Sepulveda Dam Area. Film staff may not park or drive on the upstream (Burbank Boulevard) side.
The Army Corps of Engineers must be included in the credits of motion pictures filmed on Corps-owned property.
ESTIMATED FILMING FEES ON CORPS-OWNED PROPERTY
|Student and Non-Profit Groups
|| $50 each additional day
|Non-Refundable Application Fee
|| Will be credited to final filming fee
|Site Rental: Prep or Strike Day
|Site Rental: Still Photography or Motion Picture/Video Day
||$500 for each additional day
($160/hour for Federal Holidays and Easter Sunday)
|Minimum of 8 Hours
| Administrative Fee
||May increase if unusual activities or additional reviews anticipated
|Date or Time Change
|Corps Safety Officer
||If needed due to unusual activities
|Environmental (NEPA) Document
||Payment due with application fee